Gardening is something that a lot of people today are into. But not all have the right tools for specific gardening jobs. In this article, we’ll be talking about one of the most useful tools used in gardening – the broadcast spreader.
We’ll be supplying you with all the info about broadcast spreaders and how to find the best broadcast spreader that is right for your needs.
Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard Mini Broadcast Spreader - Holds Up to 5,000 sq. ft. of Lawn Product
|9.7||Buy on Amazon|
AMAZE 75201 Broadcast Spreader-Quickly and Accurately Apply up to 10,000 sq. ft. of Grass Seed,...
|9.6||Buy on Amazon|
Agri-Fab 45-0463 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader , Black
|9.7||Buy on Amazon|
Agri-Fab 85 lb. Tow Broadcast Spreader 45-0530 85 lb. Tow Broadcast Spreader, One Size, Black
|9.7||Buy on Amazon|
Agri-Fab 45-0462 Push Broadcast Spreader
|9.7||Buy on Amazon|
What Is A Broadcast Spreader?
For those who are hearing this for the first time, the broadcast spreaders is a popular gardening tool that spreads grass, feed, seeds, pesticides, fertilizers, and other gardening products evenly to the ground. It is important that every garden or farm should have one of these since it minimizes the work and time of spreading the seeds or fertilizer evenly to the soil.
Fertilizers are essential in everything that involves plants as these will give nutrients to whatever you are trying to grow and the best way to get the most out of fertilizers is through broadcast spreaders.
What Are The Advantages Of Using A Broadcast Spreader?
There are a lot of tools involved in gardening and it is important that one should understand the benefits of a broadcast spreader prior to purchasing it. Among those obvious and known benefits of using a Broadcast spreader for a lawn, farm or garden are as follows:
1. Broadcast Spreaders Improve Product Yield
Farmers, gardeners and lawn owners prefer their products to have better yields for the reasons of changing climates, growth of population as well as lands that can no longer grow vegetation. Due to these unforeseeable issues, a lot of farmers today are depending on fertilizers for their crops and plants.
As a substitute to spraying manually, a broadcast spreader evenly distributes fertilizers in no time with the desired volume and gap thereby maximizing its use. Using a broadcast spreader will not only help them achieve a good yield of production but it can also reduce the workload.
2. Lessens The Workload
When it comes to farming or gardening body pains are always involved in addition to stress. Through the years, man has improved in eliminating this problem from starting with using animals to help them in farming to building machines to make their work burdens a little lighter – these machines include the broadcast spreader.
By using a broadcast spreader, the task of manual sprays, sowing seeds, spreading fertilizers evenly and other daunting tasks in gardening and farming will instantly be eliminated. Thus with a lesser workload, farmers, gardeners, and the ordinary enthusiast will no longer have to deal with stress and strain.
Also, many types of broadcast spreaders come with larger capacity hoppers which can relieve the operator from carrying heavy loads of materials for spreading.
3. Increased Accuracy
Using the right amount of fertilizer is essential in order to achieve a better yield and too much can harm the soil’s health as well as the pocket. As time goes by, the ground loses the nutrients that the plants absorb which is why it is also important to deliver a sufficient amount of nutrients not only for the plants but also for the ground.
Using a tool that evenly spreads fertilizers for nutrients on both plants and the ground will guarantee a higher yield production without having to cultivate the soil separately. So for the subject of precision farming, one should always use a broadcast spreader to deliver optimum yield.
How To Find The Best Broadcast Spreader That Suits Your Needs
Now that you know the advantages of using a spreader, let’s talk about how you can find the best one that suits your requirements. In the market today, there will be two kinds of broadcast spreaders that are available – the handheld broadcast spreader and the rotary spreader.
The handheld broadcast spreader is the conventional type of spreader having settings that are adjustable depending on the materials to be used. Handheld versions are usually a common preference for small lots or areas such as lawns and backyard gardens.
Rotary spreaders on the other hand are excellent for large areas of land to be cultivated. This type of broadcast spreader makes use of various settings as the hand held however one can use attachments onto it such as tractors or a mower to increase accuracy and production of the equipment.
In addition to knowing the types of broadcast spreaders available in the market today, you can also consider these few factors to have a more precise decision.
- Settings Should Be Easily Customized: A broadcast spreader should have customizable settings where the user can easily designate the volume of seeds or materials distributed per area.
- Hopper Material Should Be Sturdy And Durable: Seeing as the hopper will be used to carry various types and weights of materials oftentimes, it is important to find one that is thick and tough and will last for a long time.
- Mechanism: It is also important to check that the machine is dust as well as rustproof. Also, make sure that the machine is not too complicated to use for the ordinary user.
- Accessories: One accessory that is important in a broadcast spreader is the shoulder belt which is used for handheld models. Always make sure that the broadcaster has one.
- Range Of Materials That Can Be Used: There are those options where one can only use a limited range of materials – always check if the spreader can handle the material that you are looking to use it for.
- Product Warranty: Just like any other purchased item, it is also important that you check on the product warranty. This is to avoid spending more on repairs and damages.
The Best Broadcast Spreaders Today
1. Brinly BS36BH Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
The Brinly BS36BH Tow behind Broadcast Spreader features that highest capacity hopper among its competitions with 3.5 cu ft hopper capacity which is best for users looking to cover very large areas of land. Its tow-behind feature will fit any kind of tractor or mower to relieve the operator of heavy work.
Designed to last for decades, the Brinly BS36BH Tow behind Broadcast Spreader is durable and corrosion proof to handle corrosive materials. It also provides a wider spread pattern compared to others as it boasts its glass-filled nylon gear set up providing high speed ratio which competitors doesn’t have.
The Brinly BS36BH Tow behind Broadcast Spreader also has a patented spread pattern control which easily manages various weights of any materials distributing them evenly to the ground. And lastly, Brinly spreader models are manufactured in the US so it is guaranteed durable and 100% working upon unboxing.
- Impressive large capacity of the poly hopper (175 lb) which covers very large areas
- Patented Directional – Spread Pattern Control system for very even spreads
- Durable hardware and enclosed gearbox relieving corrosion
- May not be best for fine grained materials
- Lose control lever
2. Agri-Fab Push Broadcast Spreader 45-0388
The Agri-Fab 85-Pound Push Broadcast Spreader 45-0388 spreads fertilizers to seeds and other materials to a max of 85 pounds of weight. It features a very durable plastic hopper which eliminates corrosion or rusts for a lifetime. It has a flexible adjustment feature that guarantees accuracy for every spread up to 3 meters wide.
Also, there is no need to be very knowledgeable on how to use this equipment as it features user friendly settings and controls. The best part about the Agri-Fab 85-Pound Push Broadcast Spreader is that if comes with a 3-year warranty – so you can simply have it exchanged or repaired for free anytime within the covered warranty duration.
- Impressive hopper size (can carry 85 lbs of material) and made of durable material
- Wider pattern coverage of up to 10 ft. with user friendly controls
- Easy to maneuver with the pneumatic tires
- Sensitive wing nuts prone to breakage with too much pressure
- The Heavy hopper is fixed with only bolts
3. Chapin International 8400C Chapin Professional SureSpread Spreader
The Chapin International 8400C 100-Pound Professional SureSpread Spreader is another entry from the Residential series of Chapin which boasts a 100 lbs hopper capacity with a bail interface that enables the operator to use either left or right hand in the operation. It has an ergonomically designed edge control and powder-coated steel frame which firmly sets the hopper into place.
It delivers ease of use over any kind of surface with the 14″ wide pneumatic tires and u-shaped handle bars. Also, it has an adjustable gate dial with user-friendly controls. The best part yet about the Chapin International 8400C 100-Pound professional SureSpread Spreader is its warranty period which is 5 years – saves a lot on repairs and check-ups.
- 100 lb hopper capacity can load more materials in one spread and is designed to handle all sorts of materials such as ice melt, seeds, fertilizers, and others
- Impeccable Precision control with the positive stop dial with edge control that optimizes dispersal of materials
- Stable control over the uneven surfaces with the pneumatic tires
- The backrest bar can get in your way whenever moving up a terrain
- Control Baffle constantly falls off
- The operator has to bend over in order to flip the edge guard over or under the hopper
4. Earthway 100 LB Professional Ice Melt Broadcast Walk Behind Spreader
The Earthway Professional 100-Pound Walk-Behind Broadcast Spreader is the perfect option for those looking for a compact commercial spreader. It features a 100 lb total capacity for its poly hopper which instantly solves the problem of space and storage.
Also, it has an anti-clogging feature with its debris screen and 13-inch wide pneumatic tires to make spreading continuous and uninterrupted. The Earthway Professional 100-Pound Walk-Behind Broadcast Spreader is designed with an adjustable handle that changes height levels for easy control for the smaller or taller operator.
Accuracy is also kept in mind with this model with the 3-hole drop shut-off interface which guarantees a desirable and even spread pattern.
- Big Hopper capacity of 100 lb and evenly spreads with the 3-hole drop shut-off system
- Rust-proof poly rims on tires with durable Powder Coated chassis
- Adjustable handle to match operator heights and comes available with rain cover
- Inconsistent spreading path
- Unclear installation manual
5. Scotts Pro EdgeGuard Broadcast Spreader
The Scotts Pro EdgeGuard Broadcast Spreader is the newest spreader from Scotts’ EdgeGuard series. This broadcast spreader features a control panel where users can adjust precision settings for the materials to be spread. It covers up to 18000 square feet of spreading and the pneumatic tires feature easy and smooth traversing over uneven grounds.
The Scotts Pro EdgeGuard Broadcast Spreader is readily calibrated upon purchase so you can start using it immediately. This particular broadcast spreader from Scotts is designed with durability in mind and helps making the lawn better-looking for the whole year. Also, the best part about this broadcast spreader is that there’s absolutely no assembly required and equipment is ready to use upon purchase
- Easy to use or user-friendly with Pneumatic tire design which is best for any landscape
- Better accuracy with customizable settings over the control panel
- Agitator drive shaft can easily be broken if not used for the materials intended for
- Recalibration may require professional or manufacturer knowledge
Among all these choices, what’s the best broadcast spreader? Probably a good way to look at this is by considering a first time broadcast spreader user. If it’s all about ease of use and being able to use the machine without further calibrations and settings then I would personally recommend the Scotts Pro EdgeGuard Broadcast Spreader. It is ready to use out of the box and it has basic settings and features for the first-time user. Of course, it also has the best features coming from a broadcast spreader.
Got a better suggestion for the best broadcast spreader? Message us in our comment box below – we would love to hear your thoughts about it.