Is your lawn looking rather forlorn this season? No matter how much you water and mow, the grass always seems to be greener on the other side.
But it doesn’t have to be that way.
If you want to give your yard a kickstart, you need to start using fertilizer.
Not just any old bunch of chemicals will do, either. You need to start using the best lawn fertilizer around.
But how do you know which one is the best?
It can be difficult to get past the hype of fertilizer advertising and delve down into the root of the matter.
But don’t worry, we’re here to help with this list of the top 8 fertilizers around. Read on to discover which fertilizer works wonders, and how to choose the best one for your particular yard.
How We Choose Our Ratings For Best Lawn Fertilizer
There are hundreds of lawn fertilizers on the market today, but not all of them will work. Some contain harmful chemicals, some have nasty odors, and some offer minimal results.
However, some will make your lawn shoot up like Jack’s beanstalk. Those are the ones we’re here to discuss. We’ll examine several factors to ensure you’re getting the most bang for your fertilizer buck. Here’s how we choose our ratings for the best lawn fertilizer:
- Functionality: Does the product actually work? We’ll launch our own investigation and give you the honest truth.
- Price: Is this lawn fertilizer worth your hard-earned dollars? We’ll delve deep and discover just how much you’re really getting for your money.
- Customer Reviews: What have other buyers said about this product? We’ll find out and give you feedback from people who have been in your shoes.
Top 8 Best Lawn Fertilizers on The Market
Ready to discover the best lawn fertilizer on the market? Here are our top 8 picks.
1. Scott’s Turf Builder Lawn Food
- Lawn fertilizer formulated to feed and strengthen your lawn and protect against future problems
- Formulated with Scotts exclusive All-in-One Particle technology for even greening and feeding
- Builds strong, deep roots, and improves your lawn’s ability to absorb water and nutrients (versus an unfed lawn)
- Won’t burn lawn guaranteed
If you want an all-inclusive lawn fertilizer at a great price, look no further than Scott’s Turf Builder. This brand has everything you’ve ever wanted in a fertilizer, and customers are overwhelmingly happy with their fresh, green results.
Scott’s is formulated to nurture a new lawn or protect one which is already thick and healthy. It funnels nutrients into your grass, helping it grow stronger and thicker in order to block out pesky weeds. It also helps your lawn absorb rainwater and naturally-occurring nutrients.
Apply Scott’s at any time of the year, and expect it to last up to six weeks. You can use it on any type of grass and soil.
Scott’s is also pet- and child-friendly, which means your kids and furry friends will be safe from toxic chemicals and free to roam around your freshly-fertilized yard.
Scott’s is around $15 to $ 20 for a 12.6-pound bag. This covers up to 5,000 square feet, so you should be able to use it for quite a few sessions depending on how big your lawn is.
Star Rating: We give this product 5 stars for affordability and utility.
2. Humboldt’s Secret Golden Tree Fertilizer
- FOR ANY PLANT: Our Golden Tree formula helps activate enzymes that promote photosynthesis in any plant, tree, flower, or bush. Increase your yield quality and quantity with this all-purpose soil food additive. Whether you have sick crops, wilting flowers, or dying trees, this is the fertilizer that you need!
- GROW METHOD COMPATIBLE: No matter what grow method you’re using, the Humboldts Secret Golden Tree solution will help rescue dying plants, feed growing plants, and revitalize struggling plants. It’s designed to be compatible with all mediums — hydroponics, aeroponics, coco, DWC, soil, and every other type of growing method.
- ESSENTIAL NUTRIENTS: Golden Tree can help provide essential nutrients to your garden that it isn’t getting now. Our formula contains a mixture of amino acids, kelp, carbs, and minerals. It can be used in conjunction with other additives and fertilizers or as the only additive.
- MAXIMIZE RESULTS: When used 1 – 3 times per week as suggested, Golden Tree can help increase root development, optimize photosynthesis, and increase yields and flowering sites. This is the all-in-one solution you need for herbs, vegetables, house plants, or garden flowers.
Want to know a secret? Humboldt’s Secret Golden Tree fertilizer is one of the best in the business. It claims to be magical. While those are pretty wild claims, customer reviews seem to agree.
Your lawn will love this stuff. It contains amino acids, kelp, and tons of tasty carbs for your grass to munch on. The only problem with this fertilizer is that you may have to mow more often, on account of how long and gorgeous your grass will be.
The smell may also be difficult to stomach. Get ready to be knocked out of your socks because clients claim this concentrated liquid fertilizer smells like rotten eggs. However, that’s the price you pay for perfection.
You’ll pay within the range of $30 to $35 for 8 ounces, which may seem like a lot. But since the solution is so concentrated, you can make up to 125 gallons of liquid fertilizer with that. It’s an amazing price for a product that works this well.
Star Rating: We give this product 5 stars for unbelievable results and a low price.
3. Hasta Gro Plant Liquid Fertilizer
- Sold on Amazon
Hasta Gro liquid fertilizer is a wonderful fertilizer that is well worth your money. It’s advertised as a “lawn care kit in a bottle,” and customer reviews seem to jive with this sentiment.
It contains a Medina soil activator to enrich your soil, and Humate liquid humus to promote strong growth. Customers claimed it revived dead lawns and sowed the seeds of success for greenery and health. The bottom line? Your lawn will love you for using Hasta Gro.
With $15 to $20, you will get one quart of liquid fertilizer, and you should be able to make this last a pretty long time. Use a gallon of water to dilute one ounce of liquid fertilizer. You can use this on any grass in any season, and it also works great on vegetables and flowers.
Star Rating: We give this product 5 stars for functionality and a great price.
4. Milorganite Organic Nitrogen Fertilizer
If you’re all about organics this year, make sure to give Milorganite a try. This nitrogen-based fertilizer is comprised of dried microbes and other safe materials.
It acts as delicious food for lawns as well as a seed carrier for in-between seasons. You can apply it any time, on any type of grass or lawn. It’s good for any type of climate where grass can grow.
You don’t have to worry about kids or pets trampling through the Milorganite. Your lawn will be completely safe for romping around after each use.
Expect to pay between $60 and $70 for a 36-pound bag on Amazon, but Ace Hardware has it for just $13. Be careful where you buy. This covers up to 2,500 feet, but you’ll only need to reapply every 12 weeks.
Star Rating: We give this product 4.5 stars for effectiveness, but it’s a bit pricey depending on where you buy.
5. Miracle-Gro Plant Food
- Full of essential nutrients, it instantly feeds to grow bigger, more beautiful plants versus unfed plants
- Feed every 1 to 2 weeks
- Use with the Miracle Gro garden feeder or any watering can
- For all flowers, vegetables, trees, shrubs and houseplants
Most people have heard of the magic of Miracle-Gro, and it’s been pleasing the crowd for quite a long time. This product provides fertilization directly to the plants in the form of vital nutrients, giving them the snack they crave and the chance for them to grow tall and green.
You can give Miracle-Gro to your grass, flowers, vegetables, or anything you have. It works on all types of plants and provides quick results you can see within weeks.
Feed your plants every one or two weeks for optimum results — you don’t want to drown or overfeed them. You’ll pay 25 dollars for this ten-pound bag. 1.5 pounds will feed 600 square feet of lawn, so it should last you for an acceptable amount of time.
Star Rating: We give this product 4.5 stars for functionality and price, but it does contain phosphorous which may contaminate nearby water.
6. Simple Lawn Solutions Grass Booster
- Liquid Iron, Nitrogen, and Micronutrient Blend: Lawn Energizer booster provides essential nutrients needed to darken the green of your lawn
- Covers 3,200 SQ. FT: Commercial grade intense booster treatment in a ready-to-use hose end sprayer
- High Quality Nutrients: Lawn Energizer Booster is a 6-0-0 Nitrogen, Iron, and Micronutrient blend.
- All Grass types: Including Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Buffalo, Centipede, Florida Palmetto, Bahia, Fescue, Ryegrass & Kentucky Bluegrass
The Simple Lawn Solutions Grass Booster is an all-year fertilizer that will help take your grass from dull to bright in just a few weeks.
Keep in mind that you’ll need to use this along with a regular fertilization program for maximum results, which may be inconvenient for some.
You’ll pay just $15 to $20 for 32 ounces of this liquid fertilizer, and you can expect to cover 3,200 square feet of lawn with that. This fertilizer comes pre-diluted and ready to spray out of the convenient built-in nozzle.
Some customers had trouble with the built-in sprayer and had to use their own. Though most of the reviews were positive, a few buyers didn’t see adequate results.
Star Rating: We give this product 4 stars for a great price, but it didn’t work for everyone.
7. Dr. Earth Super Natural Lawn Fertilizer
- A superior homogenous blend of fish meal, fish bone meal, feather meal, potassium sulfate, alfalfa meal, calcium sulphate, seaweed extract, mycorrhizae and beneficial soil microbes
- It is great for many projects in the garden, including use as an amendment for planting ornamental trees, shrubs, and bare root planting
- Controls thatch build up by digesting thatch (the organic debris layer produced by grass roots, stolon, and blades)
- Promotes a hardy root system by adding life to your lawn
This is the best lawn fertilizer for people who want to do things the natural way. Dr. Earth is totally organic, using only natural materials and compounds to fertilize your lawn. These include gems such as fish meal, feather meal, seaweed extract, and mycorrhizae.
This fertilizer not only helps control the buildup of thatch, but it also enhances the natural quality of your soil with all its yummy organic material, allowing your lawn to grow green and thick.
Feel free to let your children, chickens, dogs, and other family members roam around on this stuff all they want. It’s totally safe, and customers raved about their lawn’s color after just a few uses.
You’ll pay from $20 to $25 for an 18-pound bag, and Dr. Earth advertises continuous feeding for up to three months. You can use this product on any type of grass and soil.
Star Rating: We give this product 5 stars for functionality, price, and safety.
8. Ringer Lawn Restore Fertilizer
- Plant-based nutrients – no poultry litter or bio-solids
- No Manures/No Odor
- Covers up to 5,000 sq.ft.
- Rapid greening and plant response
If you need your lawn to shape up quickly, try Ringer Lawn Restore fertilizer by Safer Brands. This fertilizer contains no manure or bio-solids, just clean plant-based nutrients for your lawn to lap up.
It’s odorless, natural, and safe for kids and pets. You can use it on both warm and cool-season types of grass, and there’s no risk of lawn burning.
Unlike other fertilizers, you only need to apply Ringer Lawn Restore once every 8 weeks during the growing season. It’s easy to use and convenient for people who might not have much time for their lawn but still want a beautiful one.
You’ll pay around $35 to $40 for a 25-pound bag, which covers up to 5,000 feet of lawn. If you’re looking to go organic, this could be the perfect product for you.
Star Rating: We give this product 5 stars for being an organic masterpiece that really works.